Monday, April 02, 2007

Couch-o-Meter

When work takes up so much time that knitting progress slows to the proverbial crawl, I find it soothing to use an alternative measurement system. A shawl or scarf requires far too many inches to be complete to make two inches seem like much to crow about. Therefore, I have made use of our red couch-o-meter (or sofa-o-meter, depending upon your region of upbringing).

IMG_1692.JPG
Three couch-cushions and your scarf is complete! 3.5 cushions makes a shawl!

IMG_1694.JPG

Almost 2 complete sofa cushions of Aran Pocket Shawl knit! The chevron scarf isn't so far along, but it is much narrower, so it may catch up. Can we stand the suspense?! Has putting in 12 hours of work today made me silly?! Is the damage permanent?! Can I relearn ending a sentence with only one punctuation mark?!

Tune in later this week...!

15 comments:

Twisted Knitter said...

LOL! I love your creative measuring skills and your unabashed love of punctuation marks in this entry!

Both the scarf and the shawl look wonderful.

Lorraine said...

Brenda- Pure Genius, though I'm not sure a sofa is as portable as a tape measure.

Could it fit in your knitting bag?

Kristy said...

You're so funny :) What a great measurement scale! Although I doubt my fiance and cats would appreciate me getting them off the futon just so I could measure.

Nana Sadie said...

I like the sofa-o-meter! And I like the looks of the Aran Pocket Shawl!
(((hugs)))

Jen said...

Uh, I love your measurement system. It's very scientific! :)

Anonymous said...

I like the couch-o-meter idea. I imagine saying "only 1 cushion left to go" instead of "only 30 inches left to go" makes a huge difference in your perception of knitting progress.

iSeL said...

Nice system. I just placed a box in front of the couch to store my in-progress projects because hubby was complaining about my knitting crap taking over. Ha!

JayJay said...

I will definitely have to start using the couch-o-meter! At first I though it said crochet-o-meter, and I wondered how you would crochet to measure knitting (the length of the hook? a single crochet chain?) I guess I need to cut back on the 12 hour days too. :)

The shawl and the scarf are both lovely!

knittingphilistine said...

That's one useful yardsti... er, red couch!!

Christy said...

I hope you are able to overcome your addiction to punctuation. I think the cure lies in knitting...more knitting time has a reverse correlation to punctuation. Hoping you have more time soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "settee." The progress on the shawl (and the scarf) is very impressive. Keep trying to squeeze in the knitting fun, it will balance out the craziness.

Brigitte said...

Hee hee...couch-o-meter! Hey, that's a great system though.

Hope you get more knitting time on the weekend!

DeeAnn said...

Love the couch-o-meter! It's all about proportions :)

The shawl and scarf are looking great!

Chris said...

LOL - briliant!! And really, why not indulge in a little punctuation exuberance? I sure can't give anyone grief about that.

Hope things settle down after today.

Anonymous said...

That is a great way to measure something! Too bad my couch is a boring brown. It won't make for nearly a nice photo as your red couch.