Sunday, March 25, 2007

Socks Come, Socks Go

I have learned a very valuable thing about myself: I am not a lace sock-wearing sort of girl. I think lace socks are beautiful, and I don't think less of women who wear them, but they are not for me. I wish I had known this before I knit nearly one complete lace sock and a cuff of a second (different pattern). Below you see the nearly complete lace sock in some Tofutsies on the left and the antidote to the Lace Sock Disaster of '07 on the right.

IMG_1671.JPG
Disclaimer: No Tiki glasses were harmed during the making of this blog entry.

It was while trying on the Tofutsies Tidal Wave sock that I made my awful discovery. "I'll never, ever wear these socks," I thought. It was lowering. I hadn't thought a "tidal wave" lace sock would trip my frou-frou alarm, but it did. The other lace sock (Sundara's Petals Collection Lenten Rose) is already ripped; it was too big in addition to too lacy. Sigh.

In addition to this lace mishap, the other Tofutsies sock I showed earlier in the month, with the zig-zag twisted stitch pattern, bit the dust. Right twist = no problem. Left twist = royal pain in the butt. I could finish the socks, but I would hate them.

In desperation, I turned to Nancy Bush's Rib and Cable Sock from IK (Fall 2005). I had made it last summer to great success. I thought it might be fun to play with the rib and cable motif while maintaining the Welsh heel turn (a favorite of mine) and the star toe of three points.

IMG_1674.JPG
The amber Tiki mug really wanted to model the sock-in-progress.

So I have a yarn-over mock cable (in Sensational Knitted Socks and BW Vol. 1) with some regular ribbing. The scrumptious yarn is Claudia Handpaints in Walk in the Woods. Anyway, I am very happy so far. So happy that I am thinking of doing a series of variations on this rib and cable theme: creativity within limits. Stay tuned.

Happy Knitting!

19 comments:

Christy said...

Well at least you are paying attention to your misgivings before finishing a pair that you will never wear. It can't hurt to switch to a classic Bush.

Emily said...

Oh how I am with you on the lace socks and how easily they 'tip the frou-frou alarm'. I have horrified memories of those knee length white lacey socks other girls wore to school - yuck! (for me).

But I do like some interest in my sock knitting. Cables and ribs it is!

Rachel said...

Very nice! I know what you mean about lacy socks, although I will most likely wear mine, if I ever get them done! I do like funky socks, even though the rest of me is boring and conventional. I once had socks that meowed when I clicked my heels together - my students loved it!

Kristy said...

I must say that I really like lace socks, but I'm not at all offended that you don't :) The Lenten Rose pattern looked to be a little *too* open for me, though.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you!

abby said...

I completely understand about avoiding lacy socks! I'm more of a ribbing gal myself... and working on the rib and cable sock right now, in fact. Such a great way to display socks in progress! Love the mugs.

Lorraine said...

Brenda- I can relate about the lace socks. While some are definitely works of art, I prefer to let the colors do their thing. And I'm not a lacy-frilly type person.

Who knew I'd envy a Tiki mug?

Beth S. said...

I haven't tried the Welsh heel yet, but I have puzzled over the directions (in the Vintage Socks book.) Why do the rows start with yarnovers? I don't understand that at all. Unless they're involved in a decrease somehow. That must be it, but it seems like an awfully complicated way to go about making a decrease...

Kim said...

I think the cable rib is better than the other socks. I haven't made enough socks to know what I like or not...

Twisted Knitter said...

Your cute Tiki glasses almost upstage the socks! :-)

You know, this might be TMI, but the main reason I don't like lace socks for myself (I will knit them for others) is because I don't shave my legs in the winter. I would hate the idea of leg hair sticking out of my lace socks! LOL!

Chris said...

Whew! I was worried that the Tikis got injured... ;) Good thing you figured all that out before you got further.

JayJay said...

The socks are lovely, although I can understand the aversion to lacey socks especially if the pattern is fairly open. As my husband would say, you put holes in socks on purpose?

Jen said...

I too am glad the Tiki mugs were unharmed!! :) While I do like to knit the lace socks, I can definitely understand what you are saying. If you know you aren't going to wear them, then why waste the awesome yarn!? :)

Anonymous said...

Tiki glasses!!! I love these, collect 'em too. :) Hey at least you came to this realization before they were entirely completed!

Brigitte said...

Oh, I couldn't agree more! I worked one feather and fan sock, tried it on, and new they would be annoying to wear. I'm much more into cables when it comes to socks, and I love the simple mock cables.

I love the Tiki mugs!

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog thru WendyKnits. Your story about Max the faking cat is the funniest cat story I think I've heard. Thanks for sharing it.

My opinion on lace socks is feather and fan is nice, but true lace patterns offer no warmth. That's something that's important when you live in Boston.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the sweet comment about my sweater! To answer your question, I'm not doing any tight ribbing along the bottom, because the entire sweater is technically ribbing. The cables, P, and K4 repeated pattern create the rib. Usually ribbing is K1 P1, but the ribbing I'm using is sufficiently P and K to keep the edge from rolling. There isn't any "break" from the bottom of the sweater to the neck. I think this will give the illusion of height, too. (My brother is a little short). Hope that helps.

Karen said...

I don't mind a few intentional holes in my socks but I rarely carry the pattern down the foot, must have a solid knit foot. I love your mugs, they are great for modeling.

Kirsten said...

I love those Tiki mugs!! They make great sock displays!

knitspot anne said...

i love that rib and cable sock, too. i have designed several lace socks, with my mom or a friend in mind, but i have to confess, i am not into wearing them either (but don't tell anyone else!)